Throughout its 25-year history, ALK has been a leader in advancing the state of the art in transportation map data. ALK incorporates the highest-quality, premium street-level map data in all our CoPilot GPS navigation products (for North America, Europe, and Australia) and in our industry-standard PC*MILER Streets. ALK supplies worldwide highway-level map data to the U.S. Department of Defense (DoD) and to numerous transportation and logistics companies throughout the world.
ALK?s North American Data
ALKï¿½s quality map database is the back-bone of our award-winning CoPilot products and our industry-standard PC*MILER products. Our cutting edge products combine both our first-class data and our advanced routing algorithms to ensure your car or truck gets to the right place using the best route possible.
ALK's map database provides the most comprehensive coverage for the United States. ALK was the first company to offer nationwide, seamless, address-to-address routing in 1997. Then, in 1998, ALK released the industryï¿½s first commercial dock-to-dock routing solution and has since upgraded all of its commercial solutions to offer this leading edge competitive capability.
Since that time, ALK has continued to lead the market with enhancements to improve the accuracy of its address-to-address routing and has incorporated extensive points of interest data, exit numbers, and services and facilities information. Our U.S. products include highway level detail for Canada and Mexico, and we added Canadian street-level data to our product line in 2003.
ALKï¿½s map data has been developed, enhanced, and refined over the past 25 years. ALK's data collection effort is a unique blend of primary and secondary map data sources. We collect the most important data from our customers ï¿½ thousands of miles of GPS tracks each month are used to meticulously adjust our road network. This excellent source of field data is combined with thousands of public and private map data sources including detailed satellite imagery, digital orthoquads, and data from a variety of government sources including the U.S. Postal Service, U.S. Census Bureau, U.S. Geological Survey, and Statistics Canada.
The ALK map database goes through an extensive quality assurance program that includes verifying street information with independent sources, reviewing field data, and a comprehensive internal and external testing program.
ALK?s North American Database Includes:
- Over 7 million miles of North American roadway, including over 6 million street-level miles and over 756,000 highway miles, with over 350,000 miles of commercial truck and RV restrictions.
- Over 140 million U.S. and 10 million Canadian street addresses
- Over 3 million Points of Interest including restaurants, hotels, service stations, golf courses, banks, and sports arenas
- Over 27,000 highway exit numbers
- Every five-digit U.S. ZIP code (over 41,000 for 2005)
- County name designation for every location in the U.S.
- Most recent North American road openings, name changes and construction updates
ALKï¿½s North American Map Database is unique in that it includes extensive truck-specific commercial routing data attributes required by our trucking and logistics customers:
- 13'6" height, 80,000 lb weight, 48ï¿½ length and 96" width restrictions
- 53'/102" trailer designations for the U.S.
- Hazardous materials restrictions for U.S. and Canada
- 789,700 six-digit Canadian Postal Codes (Add-On module)
- 112,700 Standard Point Location Codes (SPLCs) (Add-On module)
- Over 6,000 truck stops, 580 state weigh stations, and 800 CAT weight scale locations
- All US Department of Defense (DoD) military installations
ALK's Worldwide Data Used by the United States Department of Defense
Since 1998, ALK's PC*MILER data and software have been the worldwide standard distance standard for the U.S. DoD's Defense Table of Official Distances (DTOD). All motor carriers and logistics companies handling freight and personal property shipments for the DoD are bound by DTOD mileage for payment and audit purposes around the world.
PC*MILER|Worldwide, a commercial version of DTOD, is used by numerous motor carriers, shippers, consultants and logistics companies throughout the world.
- Worldwide regions include North America, South America, Europe, Africa, Asia, and Oceania
- Includes over 15,600,000 kilometres of roadway and over 1,100,000 named locations
- Includes US ZIP Codes and European Postal Codes
ALK uses Navteq as its premium provider of high-quality European map data for its European CoPilot products and data add-ons, and for the European portion of PC*MILER | Worldwide. Navteq's extensive European database includes:
- Over 3 million miles of street-level data
- Over 27 million street addresses
- Over 500,000 points of interest
Learn more about Navteq.
ALK uses Sensis as its premium map data provider for the TravRoute line of Australian CoPilot products. Sensisï¿½ comprehensive Australian database includes:
- 200,000+ km of street-level data
- Over 4,000 km of highway-level data
- More than 2 million addresses
- 23,000+ Points of interest
Learn more about Sensis.